Thursday, February 03, 2005

missing home

Hello friends,

I’ve been missing you very much this last week. Yes it has been a week since I departed for _______ and I now realize how attached I am to my home. What is it about home that has stirs such deep emotion?

It is you that causes me to feel. We are deeply connected by our experiences. The fact that we call ourselves a family, truly believing that family is not a word that is dependent on biology, shows how strong our ties are. I know I will see all of you sooner than I can imagine now, but from this side it feels like an eternity. We lean on each other so much that when you are not around for those times I would normally lean on you, it becomes evident that I am alone. I guess that is why it is so hard for us to learn the disciple of solitude. When it should be God that comforts us and heals us, we tend to find the quick solution in community mending. I don’t mean to say that mending through community is somehow relying less on God, I believe He intend us for each other, however there are times when only God can truly mend you. I think we would rather find a temporary fix in the noise of each other than deal with being alone in silence. It seems as if this spiritual discipline is associated with depression (only the depressed would voluntarily experience solitude) yet solitude does not produce depression. It teaches reliance. It teaches to seek His comfort over our own efforts. If you can’t tell, I’ve dealt a bit with this since I’ve been gone. He has definitely comforted my soul and shown me that He is who I need to lean on.

I hope I have not drowned you in the melodrama of my tone, but I do pray that you will be encouraged to experience God. He is good. He is faithful. He pieced us together once and he can do it again, and again.

Keep me in your prayers. Love.

t.rock

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thomas!
I am glad to hear you are alive and well and learning a lot. That is the real reason for any trip like this and I am excited to see how fast it is happening! I am getting ready to head back to Mandeville for the parade. It made me think of you and want to write. It definitely won't be the whole family without you!! I hope you have an equally enjoyable weekend in ________ :) You are such a fantastic person and you deserve nothing but good times!! So, think of New Orleans, but let the good times roll!! Love always, Nikki

Anonymous said...

Hey Thomas! Glad to get another post from you. We are over at Jays watching the SuperBowl (Well, actually I have not watched any of the superbowl, rather I have eaten a lot, rested and then got on the computer, go figure). I can imagine how tough it is for you to be over there by yourself. We do miss you and wish you were here with us to celebrate the holiday! I'll catch some beads in honor of you tommorow night ok! Through the hard times of being on your own, you will grow closer to God because you will have no choice but to turn to Him. But know that you are not alone, maybe physically, but we are all there with you and you are in each of our hearts and prayers. Take care and hope to hear from you soon! Hey, how is the language coming??? ......Angie

thomas said...

hey guys sorry for the delay on the pictures, but i just sent them to chad and jenny asking them to coordinate putting some of the pictures on the blog for me since i have not found wireless connections yet. again your words are comforting and i am going to write you a blog again soon but for now i am in a hurry not to spend my life saving at an internet cafe.